Barrie J. Kolstein
President, Kolstein Music, Inc.,
Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd. Violin Makers
795 Foxhurst Road, Baldwin, NY
- State University of New York at Albany
Obtained a Bachelors of Science Degree in Business Administration
- Formally studied the Double Bass under the pedagogues: Frederick
Zimmermann, Assistant Principal of the New York Philharmonic; Orin
OBrien, New York Philharmonic; Georges Andre, Metropolitan
Opera; Robert Gladstone, Principal Bassist Detroit Symphony; Samuel
Hollingsworth, Principal Bassist Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra;
David Holland, renowned Jazz artist.
- Served in formal apprenticeship for instrument and bow restoration,
construction and appraisals, under the expert auspices of renowned
violin and bow maker, restorer, and appraiser, Samuel Kolstein.
- Served as staff instrument and bow restorer as well as making
numerous new violin and celli with Samuel Kolstein.
- Promoted to head violin master in the shop of Samuel Kolstein.
- Assumed full business responsibilities for operating all aspects
of Samuel Kolstein & Son, Ltd. and Kolstein Music, Inc.
- 1981 to present
- Head violin maker, restorer, and appraiser with a staff of nine
violin makers working under my supervision.
Published numerous technical articles on restoration and appraisals
in the International Society of Bassists with feature article
published in the Strad, February 1991; presently editor of
the Luthier Corner in the International Society of
Bassists magazine restoration and repair forum; published regularly
in the Double Bassist magazine and the Strad magazine,
both of London, England, since 1996. These articles have ranged form
interviews with makers and performers, technical articles on repair/making,
and expert appraisal articles on historic master makers; featured
in the violinmaking segment of Robin Lehmans documentary, Young
Peoples Guide to the Orchestra; contacted to appear in the upcoming
educational video on Careers in Music. On the expert appraisers
staff of Art Conservation fine arts adjusters as a String Instrument
and Bow Expert.
Barrie Kolstein has completed well over one hundred instruments (Violin,
Viola, Cello and Bass Violins) utilized by renowned players including
Jeffrey Turner, Pittsburgh Symphony; Robert Gladstone, Detroit Symphony;
James Van Demark, Professor of Double Bass Eastman School of Music
and world famous soloist; Charles Urbont, Metropolitan Opera; James
Clute, Minnesota Symphony Orchestra; David Sheets, Baltimore Symphony
Orchestra; Lou Norton, New York Philharmonic; Caitlyn Kamanga, Hong
Kong Philharmonic;, Scott Haig, Assistant Principal Bassist, Cleveland
Orchestra; Hienrich Joachim, renowned soloist and former member of
the New York Philharmonic; Lew Norton, New York Philharmonic; Barbara
Yendell, Hong Kong Philharmonic, to name a few! Mr. Kolstein is a
- Appraisers Association of America, 1994 to present
- International Society of Bassists, 1979 - present
- Violin Society of America, 1980 - present
- Viola Congress, 1983 - present
- Cello Congress, 1982 - present
Listed in The Violin Makers of the United States, by Thomas
J. Wenberg, Mount Hood Publishing Company, 1986.